Southwest Dermatopathology Specimen Handling Guidelines
Service lines include:
- Full Service – includes the processing of the specimen, diagnostic interpretation, and final diagnostic report.
- Technical Service – includes the processing of the specimen with excellent histology. The slides are returned to you for interpretation.
- Consultation Service – includes a consultation of prepared material by one of our board certified dermatopathologists with a written report.
How Do I Get my Specimen to You?
How Do I Package my Specimen?
How Do I Get Supplies?
What If I Only Want Slides To Be Made from The Specimen?
What If I Want a Consultation on Materials Prepared Elsewhere?
Can We Use Our Computer Requisitions instead of Yours?
How Do I Get Started Using Southwest Dermatopathology Services?
Specimens can be submitted in multiple ways:
- We provide courier service for pick up of specimens in Vancouver, Battle Ground, Camas, Washougal, and Ridgefield, WA. We also provide courier service in the Happy Valley area of Clackamas County in Oregon.
- For those areas needing Federal Express we provide prepackaged mailing kits with completed air bills where Southwest Dermatopathology Services is directly billed for the pick up.
- Others that are better served with US Mail we provide prepackaged mailing kits designated for US Mail.
Shipping human specimens with formalin fixative require adherence to specialized labeling and handling. Our prepackaged kits ensure compliance. However, all personnel handling specimens for mailing should be aware of the established Department of Transportation Guidelines. This information can be provided upon request.
- Complete a requisition which is included in each kit or can be provided to you in bulk. Please be sure to provide a copy of the patient’s insurance and/or billing information.
- Place your specimen in the provided formalin container and appropriately label with the patient identification.
- Be sure the lid is securely tightened on the container.
- Place the formalin containers with specimens in the plastic zip lock bag surrounded by paper towel. Please be sure that the bag is fully zipped.
- Place the zip lock bag and its contents in the provided shipping container.
o If US Mail, please remove the sticker taped to the inside of the lid and affix it to the outside of the mailing box. Please be sure to tape the box closed. Now all you have to do is mail it to us.
o If Federal Express, write in your name on the air bill where highlighted. Place the box with the formalin filled specimen containers inside of the provided clinical lab pack. Attach the mailing pouch where indicated on the clinical pack and insert the air bill. Call Federal Express for the pickup.
o If you are within our courier pickup areas, then please call our Client Services Department at (360) 514-3177 or (877) 473-5227 to schedule a pickup.
You may call our Pathology Department at (360) 514-2116 or our Client Services Department at (360) 514-3177/(877) 473-5227 to order supplies in bulk or prepackaged. All supplies are provided free of charge.
- Prepackaged mailers
- Federal Express Supplies
We offer this service.
- Follow the mailing instructions above.
- Complete the requisition indicating “Histology Only.”
- Send the specimen to us.
- We will process the specimen and make the microscopic slides and appropriately label them. We will provide labeling to your specifications.
- If you wish for us to perform any special stains just indicate on the requisition what you are requesting and we will perform the stains and again label appropriately. See Special Stains Catalog.
- The slides will be returned to you in a secure manner for your diagnostic interpretation.
- Complete the requisition along with billing information.
- Indicate you are wanting a “second opinion” or “consultation.”
- Include the prepared slides.
- Package and send to us.
We will accept requisitons generated by your office computer system if you like. We would ask that the requisitions be inclusive of the information we need to know:
- Patient legal name
- Patient date of birth
- Patient gender
- Patient mailing address
- Patient insurance information
- Clinical information to aid the dermatopathologist
- Anatomic site of specimen
- ICD9 codes for billing
- Testing requested
- Provider name requesting the testing along with office contact information
Please contact our Marketing Representative at (360) 514-3177 or (877) 473-5227. We would be happy to set up a mutually convenient time to come to your office to discuss our services and your needs.